Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Politics!!

Here i was on a lazy friday morning digging my nose and scratching my butt and suddenly my friend calls me up and asks me "Whom are you voting for"?? I casually remarked, "maybe the congress..." Suddenly my mental processes came to a grinding halt when he shrieked from the other end, "are you crazy?? The congress is pro-Muslim! Vote for the BJP!" I asked "Why?" and then he went on to enlighten me about what happened in Godhra and such like incidents and i reminded him about the Hitler-ish deeds of Narendra Modi in Gujarat. The cross fire went on for about half an hour and i wouldn't like to tell you the outcome of this argument.
What really bothered me was that even after more than 50 years of Independence and the gory incidents which took place prior to it, Mahatma Gandhi and other fighters who advocated harmony and tolerance and after years of education we still discriminate people on the basis of their religion and caste. That's SAD!
The political situation in the state has become such that a Hindu will vote only for another Hindu, a Muslim will vote for a Muslim and even people of a sub-sub-caste will vote for the same.
I had been to a seminar just before the elections where the representatives of various parties had come to answer questions based on what they would do for the state. I was really surprised when a candidate came forward with the idea that he would sanction water pumps to farmers to give an impetus to agriculture. The main problem in the state is that villages don't even have electricity and even water is scarce. Great ideas!
I feel a Government should focus on improving or in this case, building the foundation of the economy and the society. Begin with water conservation, harnessing renewable sources of energy and subsidizing it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Why have you stopped blogging kulle? keep blogging...