Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Birdie Num-Num

Nothing related to Peter Sellers in 'The Party' where he tries to feed the bird.
I was just wondering whatever happened to the varieties of birds there were in Bangalore. When i was about 10, there were so many sparrows and sometimes they built nests inside our houses and it was even considered auspicious. In a span of 9 years, there aren't any sparrows in the main parts of Bangalore.
I saw some sparrows last year when i had gone to my friend's farm near Bannerghatta and i was thinking whether i have to go out of Bangalore just to do some bird-watching. Crazy! Sparrows were so common!
I think the main reason why sparrows are moving out of Bangalore is because of the pollution and the increasing noise levels. I think they are very sensitive to noise. I think everyone knows that!
This post was just to get you guys thinking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First when I came to Bijapur there were so many sparrows. I could see them just outside my window and some would venture inside. Suddenly I notice thier numbers are few. Its a scary feeling. Read somewhere that these mobile towers and the sound waves are one reason.I am hoping against hope that I will continue to see them around. By the way there are few sparrows in Gandhi Bazar where they sell vegetables!